Sunday, October 26, 2008

INCrowd Interview, 9/27/08 - Lydia Kay, handpickedbylydia

First, I apologize for the re-post...I was out of internetland for a month and couldn't finish formatting before this went up. Sorry! Otherwise...You know, we don't focus much on our vintage sellers. It's easier to pin down the basics of a creator, but those with an eye for the vintage are no less creative! I decided to see what handpickedbylydia had to tell us about her side of the tracks:

Where were you born & raised?
Evansville, Indiana

Where are you now & what led you there?
I'm still here in Evansville!
What types of creations do you sell in for your Etsy shop(s)?
I sell mainly vintage but there's a couple handmade clothes that may pop-up every once in awhile.

What's your educational background, as it relates to your work?
Well I'm getting ready to start college actually. But I haven't declared my major yet so that is yet to be determined I guess.

How'd you get started creating?
Well, when I was little I used to steal little scraps of my mother's fabric and hand sew little pillows and make clothes for my Barbies. And as far as my love for vintage, I would credit that to my father. He was the one who introduced me to TV Land when I was younger, and I just loved there outfits!
What's your muse, or what turns that little creative light inside you on?
I'd have to say old movies and TV shows. Although sometimes I'll just be sitting at work and I'll get an idea.
Do you belong to any Street Teams? If so, which ones and why?
Right now I only belong to 2; this one and the Christian Artist Street Team (CAST). I joined the INCrowd team because I wanted to see what people in my own state were creating. And I joined CAST because I wanted to see what fellow Christians were making. I love the idea of teams, I think they're a great way to communicate and support others.
What's your favorite thing about selling on Etsy?
Well, I used to sell on Ebay and it was just a mess, all those auctions! So I like Etsy's set-up a lot better.
Recommend your five favorite shops on Etsy.
1. necessityisthemother
2. nstylevintage
3. cordialkitten
4. salvagelife
5. GreyBrocket

Since you're a vintage seller and we haven't really profiled one before, I think I'd like to throw in a few more questions:

Do you wear a lot of vintage yourself?

Yes, my everyday wardrobe consists mainly of vintage, handmade, and thrift store gems.

Do you have a favorite era or type of vintage item (skirts, ties)?
Well right now I just love the 60's, there was so much going on style-wise! But I've always adored vintage dresses, they're all so unique!

What is it about an item that catches your eye?
The first two things that grab my attention are the waistline and the fabric. I'm sucker for anything with an empire waist and good floral print!

Show us three of your store's best items:

70s Vintage Colorful Purse/Market Bag



Revamped Vintage Navy Blue Polka Dot Dress



Vintage Blue and White Gingham Dress




Thanks so much Lydia, and keep on keeping on!

Carolynn aka nilochlainn, schwa, wolfgangzehen, serenityservices and recoverandlive

2 comments:

  1. thanks for the referral

    www.nstylevintage.etsy.com

    NStyle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the vintage blue and white dress. I love tv land too :)

    ReplyDelete