Tuesday, October 21, 2008

INCrowd International Interview, 10/21/08 - Jessica Simanowski, JSartist

Where were you born & raised?
I was born and raised in Germany where I lived for 20 years.

Where are you now & what led you there?
I decided 12 years ago to moved to Portugal where I still live now. I have been in Portugal on vacations 18 years ago for the first time and fell in love with the country. I felt really impressed by the colours of Portugal also. So after finishing grammar school and having some spare time before going to university, I decided to go for half a year to Portugal to gain some experiences in a foreign country. And, as we all know, sometimes unexpectedly things can happen and I never went back to Germany again and made Portugal my home country.

What types of creations do you sell in for your Etsy shop(s)?
I focus mainly on two sections. My main focus has always been on my paintings and original artwork. So I am having one Etsy Shop for my paintings only. In my other Etsy Shop I sell everything around textile design, mainly stuffed animals and felt and fabric jewelry.

What's your educational background, as it relates to your work?
My background does not much relate to what I do because I have always been an autodidact somehow. That happened already when I was a child. If I saw something that I really liked I locked myself into my room for a couple of days and figured out how to do it myself.
I finished the grammar school in Germany and actually wanted to visit the art academy in Germany to study art but soon enough found out that my role in this lifetime is not about being a student anymore but rather a teacher. I felt that I would have to hold back once I would join the rules and system of a typical art academy.

How'd you get started creating?
It just happens. It's here all the time. I truly am a full-time artist, meaning that I wake up in the morning doing art and going to sleep with my art. And then at night I use my dreamstate for new ideas or inspiration.

What's your muse, or what turns that little creative light inside you on?
Well, as funny as this might sound but my creative light is myself. It comes from within, it is always there. Art is a very natural process for me. That's why my slogan is "Art is the science of the heart." We are all artists, but it makes a difference how much you are willing to go within to find it in within you, or not. Art is who we are and just a question of how we like to express ourselves best.

Do you belong to any Street Teams? If so, which ones and why? If not, why not?
Yes, I am a proud member of the Etsy PlushTeam and the Etsy DesignStyleGuide Team. It is fun to interact with other Etsians and to support each other. Through the Street Teams you get the chance to have more people connect to your art and you can support each other.

What's your favorite thing about selling on Etsy?
What I like most about Etsy is that it is a very clear and well organized page. It is so simple to add new items to the shop even though if you do not understand much about the computer or internet. I also like that it is such a big community that functions worldwide. To find artist from every corner of the world on Etsy really rocks. I do not know any other page that presents such a huge pool of art. Although I have to say that me, as a European seller, have difficulties sometimes to keep up with the USD prices versus the Euro.

Recommend your five favorite shops on Etsy.
danamarieart
AnthonyButkovich
pirilamporiscado
spencershook
cocoondesigns

Show us some of your favorites of your own creation.
Here are 4 links to my items. Two items from my fabric shop and two items from my paintings shop.

Felt Cord Fabric Necklace Tie


















Giovanni from TheWeirdoBug Collection
















A Zoo within (Original Painting) 60x100cm



















Balanced Babysteps (Original Painting) 60x60x4cm



















Anything else to add? Go for it!

Yes, indeed. Be nice with each other, appreciate every expression of somebody else and don't forget to play with each other : ) Don't forget that you are worthy and don't try to compare yourself with others on Etsy, even though if it seems sometimes that nobody wants or likes your work. To be authentic is the biggest gift you can give to the world.

Thank you so much!

A big hug,
Jessie : )

Love you, Jessie!! - Carolynn

1 comment: