Sunday, June 1, 2008

Another New Feature: INCrowd Interstate Interview

I was looking for interesting shops on Etsy the other day because I wanted to see how other folks from other places view, use and enjoy Etsy. Look who I found - ModernClassicsPaper! Also known as Jaimee McClellan, I found her shop intriguing and her work engrossing. I love how she casts a corner of an object as a subject and shows us all a definite point of view, not just the object as a whole. Here's what she has to say to the world:

Where were you born & raised?
My name is Jaimee McClellan and I’m a Jersey girl but please don’t hold that against me. I was born in southern Jersey and raised in Northwestern Jersey in a little town called Landing right off of Lake Hopatcong. It's a quaint town and you’d never know it was only minutes from the Big City (NYC). Hop on a train and you're there in the blink of an eye.

Where are you now & what led you there?
I’m currently living amidst suburbia in another quaint town called Ardsley. Again, just minutes from the Big City (Philadelphia). Not wanting to be too far from family but dreading the thought of moving back in with my parents after graduation, I decided to find an apartment with my College Sweetheart. He was the first to graduate and was working an archaeological job in this area, hence, the move to PA.

What types of creations do you sell in for your Etsy shop(s)?
I started with a small shop selling knitted and crocheted items…another pastime Grandma taught me as a kid. I was always getting requests to make things so I thought I’d test out Etsy. I expanded my shop little by little adding bits and pieces of other projects I was working on...photography, illustrations, jewelry. Eventually, my shop looked like a jumbled mess and I separated it into four individual shops for my own sanity and obsession with being organized. I find it's worked out much better aesthetically but much more time consuming and difficult marketing wise.

What's your educational background, as it relates to your work?
I was born with the “creative bug” I suppose. I can’t remember a time when I was completely content with a piece of paper and some crayons. I’m always interested in learning how to use new mediums and techniques to bring out what I’m feeling inside…be it illustration, photography, crafting. In High School, I won a small art scholarship which gave me the push to continue in that direction. In adoration of my art teacher, I took her advice and attended her Alma Mater, Kutztown University. I went with the intentions of majoring in Sculpture but once exposed to so many other options, I wound up switching to Textiles. It was hard for me to pick one area to focus on (as you can see from my array of shops), I just love to create in any way possible.

How'd you get started creating?
I suppose I owe that to my Grandmother and Mother. They’ve always encouraged me to be creative and taught me a great deal of what I know. Now a days, it’s the thought of free time that gets my mind racing. Being a mother of a four year old is the best thing that has ever happened to me and I love every second of it. It’s only recently that I’m finding myself with some spare time, as he goes off to Nursery School and wants to have playdates. I’m finding I have more “ME” time and forgot what it was like. Now I can’t stop myself!

Do you belong to any Street Teams? If so, which ones and why? If not, why not?
I’ve looked into a bunch of them but to be honest, I don’t have that much time to read into how to apply and am just not at that point yet. Too much pressure to fill out applications & follow rules, I’m more of an introvert but will eventually get there.

What's your favorite thing about selling on Etsy?
I love the freedom. A friend introduced me to Etsy and I was a tad intimidated in the beginning but dove in anyway. Now I’m finding (through sales and the forums) that there are a lot of people in the same boat. I wouldn’t say my shops have “taken off” by any mean but my stuff is finally out there and that’s a start.

Show us your three fave pieces from your own shop, Jaimee.

Moroccan Lamp - 6 x 6 Print



















Leaves - 6 x 6 Photo Print



















Radio - 6 x 6 Print



















Recommend your five favorite shops on Etsy.

Hmmm…I have so many favorites, how to pick…
1. MurrayAdams (My college roommate and fantastic artist)
2. SarahJaneStudios (Beautiful Children’s Illustrations)
3. AliciaBock (Lovely soft Polaroid photography)
4. Sillyboodilly (I love her Amoeba Pieces)
5. Berkleyillustration (The simplicity and humor are combined so well)

Thanks for taking a few moments for the INCrowd, Jaimee! Your recommendations will lead us all to further explorations of the talent on Etsy, no doubt. And your work is wicked-good stuff.

Want to know more? Check out Jaimee's blog.

Carolynn

1 comment: