Saturday, May 31, 2008

INCrowd Interview, 5/31/08 - Linda Themer, texturedturtle

INCrowd's texturedturtle is a busy woman of many talents, but she took out a few minutes to talk with me:

Were you born & raised in Indiana?
Born in Louisville Kentucky and lived there 29 years. Moved to Indiana 20 years ago.

Where in Indiana are you from now?
Seymour

What's your educational background, as it relates to your work?
I went to college for a year but didn't finish (was going into accounting)

How'd you get started creating?
I have always done crafts, made fabric animals and my own clothes in the 80s. Then wall quilts in the 90s. About six years ago I started making textile art and also discovered mosaics.

What made you want to join the INCrowd?
Because it is fellow Hoosiers and artists!

What's your favorite thing about selling on Etsy?
They make it so easy to set up your shop and the fees are so reasonable.

What are you up to right now?
I was juried into the Bead and Button show next week,
It's my first entry ever, for a set of mosaic buttons titled “Across the USA ”. The accepted entries will be on display at the show, will be eligible for prizes, and will be in the magazine this fall.

Bird Buttons













I started my shop on Etsy last summer and got discouraged by low sales. I work in fabric and mosaic so I tried a variety of items to sell. I finally sold some mosaic shawl pins, but with a full time job I haven’t done much marketing for myself or my shop. I was trying to decide what direction to go with, when ladies from the Indiana Button Society started buying my buttons and then this show came up. So I have been making buttons and pendants. After the show, I will list items on Etsy and hopefully become more involved in the INCrowd.

Sounds great to me! Recommend your five favorite shops on Etsy...

newmoondesign
myword
mixedmediajewelry
theivyleaf
lisapetersart

This is great news for Linda, and for the INCrowd! I know all members join me in wishing you tons of luck at the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment