Saturday, March 1, 2008

INCrowd Inteview, 3/1/08 - Ashleigh, decmeadow

Please welcome Ashleigh from DecMeadow Studios...

1. Where you are from in Indiana?
I’m from good old’ Peru, Indiana. Birthplace of Cole Porter and Ole Olsen. We also sport an Amateur Circus that is internationally renowned!

2. What is your craft/art/medium?
Right now I’m mainly playing with polymer clay. However, I also work with oils, acrylics, watercolor, oil and colored pastels, charcoal, graphite and colored pencils. I’m hoping to someday play with spray paint and photography.

3. Tell us a little about how you got started and what inspires you.
I’ve been playing with polymer clay since I was eight. I’ve been drawing and painting way before that. And even before I knew those media, I was designing with spaghetti and mashed potatoes in my high chair. My inspiration is always different. When it comes to the typical art (painting, drawing, sculpture) I find the inspiration everywhere I go. There might be something in nature, in my house, an abandoned building, etc… I also tend to stay at the railroad section just to watch the graffiti on the trains go by me. Right now, with polymer clay especially, my inspiration is coming from nostalgia and geekery-based things. My parents raised me to know as much of the past as possible. I was born in 87, but I might as well have been born in the 50’s… or even before that. I grew up with The Flintstones, The Jetsons, and The Looney Tunes. I watched Designing Women; Star Trek, and The Andy Griffith Show (plus many more…). My music ranges in all genres dating back to 1920’s to today, with a lot of classical mixed in. Now mix that all up in a 20 years old, and what do you get? A taste for the Mayberry setting. Nostalgia (for a time I wasn’t born) might as well be my middle name. And I try to bring this back for those that truly experienced the times. I also bring Today to them too.

4. Give us a list of a few of your favorite items currently in your shop...

Pac Man Charm


Hello Kitty Charm


Jack Skellington Earrings


Mario Bros. Boo Charm


5. Is there anything else you'd like us to know?
I’m a silly college student who has fallen in love with Etsy and everything about it. If it weren’t for people that I’ve met in the chat rooms and INCrowd, I wouldn’t have so much confidence in this endeavor of mine. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment