Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Meet: Beach Flower Designs

Hello! This week, we meet Beach Flower Designs, an Etsy shop full of bright and beautiful jewelry. She writes about her favorite items in her own shop, how much fun it is to share a love of making jewelry with her best friend and some of her other favorites on Etsy.

Name: Allison Shelhamer

City of residence: Plainfield, a smallish, quiet town just west of Indianapolis.

Is there any meaning behind the name of your shop? It's actually a play on my last name and my best friend's last name -- "beach" comes from "shel" and "flower" comes from "rose." I feel incredibly lucky that my best friend shares my love for beads, and we are able to spend a lot of time together creating our jewelry. She has an Etsy shop, too, almostsunday.

Tell me about the types of items for sale at your Etsy shop. I make bracelets, necklaces and earrings. I'm a very big fan of Swarovski crystals and pearls, as you can tell from my work. I've recently discovered gemstones and love labradorite and pyrite. I love the look of wire-wrapped faceted gemstones. I also love antique brass and sterling silver.

What's your real-world job? First and foremost, I am a wife and mother. That is the most important job in the world, to me. I also work in marketing for a local insurance agent.

How did you learn your Etsy craft? I am mostly self-taught. When my daughter was born, a friend of mine made me a mother's bracelet with her name &andbirthstones. I loved it so much, I went out and bought as many jewelry supplies that I could find, and the rest is history!

What's your muse, or what turns that little creative light inside you on? Etsy, of course! Being surrounded by so many talented artists really makes me strive to be the best I can be. I love what I do and am inspired learn new techniques and to improve on techniques I already know.
Which three of your own items for sale are your favorite? Why do you like them so much?
  1. Gumdrop Necklace -- The handblown glass beads I used in this necklace are so colorful and fun! I really think that it's a unique piece of jewelry that is suitable for just about everyone. (at top of blog post)
  2. Watercolors Bracelet -- This is actually one of my favorite bracelets of all time. I have one for myself and wear it all the time! The color of the crystals and pearls comliment each other perfectly. (second photo in post)
  3. Cayenne Pepper Earrings -- I love the way the color changes in the Swarovski crystal baroque pendants. I think they look beautiful with the antique brass wire-wrapping. (below)
What are your five favorite shops on Etsy?
  1. almostsunday -- My best friend's shop, of course.
  2. dennisanderson -- His Satsuma whipped soap is to die for!
  3. allysonhill -- I love her auto trash bags!
  4. LaurenAlexander -- She has the cutest prints!
  5. KBExquisites -- I love her coloring wallets. My daughter has one, and she takes it wherever she goes. I bought four of them as Christmas gifts!
What's the best compliment you've received from a buyer? By far, return business. To me, someone choosing to return to my shop and purchase another item is the highest compliment you can receive. I am also flattered to have made a friend's bridal jewelry.

Where else can we find you on the Internet? I do have a Facebook and a blog that I never update. I need to be better about that!

Are you an INCrowdteam member who'd like to have your shop featured in this blog? If so, just convo Jaclyn1423, and I'll get you a list of questions!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful jewelry.
    Thought I would let you know that most of the links are broken.

    ReplyDelete