Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Meet: Johnnie Belinda

This week, we meet Johnnie Belinda, a painter of bright and beautiful works from Indianapolis. Due to what my computer is calling an "internal error," I'm unable to upload the photos to show you, so be sure to follow those links and take a gander at her works.

Where were you born and raised?
I was born in Indianapolis.

What's the origin of your shop's name? My shop name (Johnnie Belinda) is my given name.

What types of creations do you sell in for your Etsy shop? I sell a varity of fine art created by me, from two-dimensional abstract, encaustic, acrylic and watercolor to three-dimensional lifecasts, paper pulp and plaster.

What's your educational background, as it relates to your work? I'm a self-taught visionary/outsider.

Does creating stuff run in the family? Were you taught things on purpose or by osmosis from prior generations? My mother made hand-crafted items, and I helped with the creations as a child.

How'd you get started creating? I got started creating in grade school and started selling my at age 19 in yard sales and craft shows.

What's your muse, or what turns that little creative light inside you on? My creativity is inspired by life and my many moods.

Do you belong to any Street Teams? I belong to vastteam, which stands for Visual Artists Street Team. Here's its blog.

What's your favorite thing about selling on Etsy? I love Esty for its community of friendly gifted talented arts and crafters. I love Etsy for ease of use.

Recommend your five favorite shops on Etsy.
  1. SpiceOfLifeDesigns
  2. inalather
  3. tmStudioDesigns
  4. fortymeg
  5. Lanter

Show us three of your own favorite pieces, from your shop and work.
  1. The Gift of Love, because I see any pet as a gift to be tresured and cared for as we would any human. They give unconditional love. My inspiration for The Gift of Love came from my daughter's best friend visiting with her little puppy, Jersey. He was so adorable in her hands; I just knew I had to paint the moment.
  2. Token of Love 1, because I love the vibrant colors and the yellow background. It reminds me of my grandmother's cheery kitchen. Inspiration is creating a happy painting that reflects the colors of a warm, sunny day.
  3. Coyote Moon 2, because it reminds me of the southwest and the mystery of nature. My inspiration is mountains and the reflection of the moon on the cool waters at the base of them.
Anything else to brag on? I have recently been featured in Feiro Magazine, a literary and arts magazine out of Bloomington, Ind.

Are you a Etsian from Indiana? Would you like to be featured here on the INCrowdteam blog? If so, send me a convo over at Jaclyn1423, and I'll send you a list of questions. Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats Johnnie! Love your piece "Gift of Love" and love the colors in "Coyote Moon2"

    ReplyDelete