Saturday, October 3, 2009

INCrowdteam Interview 10/2/09 - Jaclyn1423

Hello, readers! I'm so busy trying to prepare for the Hoosier Artisan Holiday Boutique and at my regular job that when a lovely INCrowdteam member volunteered to help out here, I jumped at the chance! Imagine having these interviews in the capable hands of an experienced writer and blogger! I'd love to introduce her to you; meet Jaclyn1423!

Where were you born and raised? I was born in Joliet, Illinois, but my family moved to a town north of Cincinnati when I was in fifth grade, so I really grew up there, in West Chester, Ohio.

Where are you now, and what led you there? I currently live in Fort Wayne, Indiana. After college (I went to Kent State University) I moved back home with my parents, who had moved to New Lenox, Illinois. I lived there for a year while I worked about 45 minutes away in Kankakee, Illinois; I eventually moved there. I've lived in Fort Wayne for a little longer than a year. A job brought me here, and this is probably the happiest I've ever been in any city I've lived in - and there's been a few.

What's the origin of your shop's name? Jaclyn1423: The "14" is for my birthday, and the "23" is for, oh yes, Michael Jordan. When I got my first AOL Instant Messenger screen name back in junior high, it ended in "1423," so that's a number I've always used for various online things. When I first created my Etsy account, it was simply as a buyer. I've been selling here for only three or so months. Had I created the account as a seller, I probably would have tried to come up with something more creative; now, three months into it, I love "Jaclyn1423."

What types of creations do you sell in your Etsy shop? Jaclyn1423 is all jewelry, all the time. I like bright colors and to mix materials that wouldn't seem to go together at first glance. I also pride myself on having affordable items.

What's your educational background, as it relates to your work? Nada [nothing]. My bachelor's is in newspaper journalism. I got into making jewelry from a friend about a year ago.

What’s your real-world job (shudder)? Features writer. No need for the shudder. I'm quite lucky: I love my job.

Does creating stuff run in the family? Were you taught things on purpose or by osmosis from prior generations? Not really. Both of my grandmothers are very proficient in sewing, though I learned to use a sewing machine from my college roommate. As for jewelry making, I guess you could consider me first generation.

How'd you get started creating? My friend Kathleen makes jewelry, and she let me play with her goodies once about a year ago. I adore jewelry and have way more than any 26-year-old ought to. After messing with Kathleen's beads and learning things like "This is how you open a jump ring and still maintain its shape," I realized I kind of had a knack for it - and I adored it.

What's your muse, or what turns that little creative light inside you on? Oh Lord, where do I begin? Books, music, movies, paintings - definitely paintings! - people I love, a deep conversation with some good wine, road trips, photos. Inspiration is everywhere, and it takes a mighty stubborn person to refuse to see it.

If you had to choose one gem or stone to describe your personality, what would it be, and why? Ooooh, what a fun question! Naturally, I'm going to have to go with a diamond, also my birthstone. The "why" goes back to elementary school. All my friends had their little birthstone rings, and when I asked my mom for one, she told me that mommies didn't get little girls diamond rings, that men gave them to women when they wanted to get married. Even then, I thought, "Well, that's a load of crap. Why should I have to wait for some guy to get it for me?" When I graduated college, I told myself I would be buying my own diamond ring, thankyouverymuch. My right-hand ring is easily my favorite piece of jewelry, more for what it represents to me than the fact that it's pretty.

Do you belong to any street teams other than the INCrowdteam? This is my first foray into street teams. After I see how this goes, I may try to get involved with a jewelry team.

What's your favorite thing about selling on Etsy? It gets my items out there. For a while, I was making pieces and letting them lie around my apartment. I love the idea of people actually getting enjoyment out of the goodies I make.

Please recommend five of your favorite shops from all of Etsy.
1) paperplanet
2) theangrycupcake
3) choumie7
4) CarolinaCottage
5) papermoth

Show us three of your favorite pieces from your own shop and work.

Aurora's vintage yellow and pink necklace - I really enjoy finding vintage jewelry at antique stores and turning them into something new and fabulous. The focal piece here is a vintage brooch, and I think it's absolutely stunning. The chains are also vintage, but the acrylic yellow gems are new, as is the toggle clasp. I was so pleased with how this piece came out.






Alice's gorgeous ruby red pendant - All the pieces of this necklace are vintage, too, but the design is much simpler than the previous necklace. I didn't have to do too much because when a pendant is that beautiful, I think it speaks for itself.











Roberta's rosy rose gold dangles - I think these earrings are so much fun, and the process is really indicative of how I make most of my pieces. I had purchased the rose gold findings on a whim, and about a week later, I found the larger pink enameled pieces. I like to spread all my goodies out and see what goes together, and I thought those two pieces looked great. I especially liked that they didn't seem to go: rose gold plated seems a little classier than little-girl pink enamel, but I think the finished product is fun.








Do you sell on consignment? Nopers.

Where else can we find you on the internet? Snap, Crackle, Pop (my blog), on Twitter and on facebook.

Anything else to brag on? I had my very first jewelry party last weekend, and it was so much more successful than I ever could have imagined! Slow sales on Etsy can be frustrating, and I often wonder, "Maybe my stuff is just icky." But when people saw it in person, they loved it. I sold more than twice what I was expecting to.

Do you yourself have certain pieces of jewelry that you always, always wear? Tell us about them. That right-hand ring, which I described previously, and another ring, sterling, with a paua shell stone, the blue kind with black veins. I purchased the ring at Crater of Diamonds State Park in Arkansas on a camping trip a few summers ago. The ring is pretty, but I mainly like the memories it brings back when I look at it.

Last question... what made you volunteer to help out with the INCrowdteam blog? I love the idea of a group of people helping one another market their wares, and I currently write for three blogs (aside from my personal blog, I write for two at work). Writing's kind of my thing, so I figured if I wanted to help out, this would definitely be an area where I could do so.


Jaclyn, I can tell just from looking at your shop's photos that your stuff is most certainly not "icky!" -- Stockannette

3 comments:

  1. Great interview Jaclyn!! And really thank you for my shop!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I know Jaclyn because she interviewed me for an etsy story for the newspaper a year ago! Good for you opening up a shop. Your jewelry is lovely and I love you are using vintage parts. I have a TON of vintage enameled flower parts that I will probably never use all of if you are interested in a few of them.

    ReplyDelete