Saturday, August 8, 2009

INCrowdteam Interview 8/8/09 - Patrick Hessey, a.k.a. Mineralman

I'm not sure if this week's interview subject is faster than a speeding State Fair Train or anything like that, but you never know. Meet Patrick, also know as Mineralman!



Where were you born and raised? I was born in Muncie, lived there for two years, then moved to Evansville, Indiana. I lived in Evansville for seven years, then moved to Fort Wayne, Indiana. I have lived in Fort Wayne since 1971; that qualifies me as a Hoosier!

What's the origin of your shop's name? I have been active in the local mineral-fossil collecting club, and have collected in many quarries across the country. I often brought samples of what I collected in to work and would share them along with stories of my trips; finally one coworker said, "I'm calling you Mineralman!" I liked it!

I like it, too - sounds like a superhero's name! Hey, Patrick, if you could have one super power, what would it be? My main power would be to be able to safely enter mines and quarries before a blast and extract intact crystals and share them before they are blasted into little pieces!

Where are you now and what led you there? I love creating and working with my hands. I started doing some custom woodworking . I never seemed to be able to estimate how long something would take to complete, I would underestimate. Having lots of interesting minerals, I started wire wrapping and making pendants and simple necklaces. I keep learning more and more about jewelry design, beading, and what women like!

What types of creations do you sell in for your Etsy shop? I have been selling unusual wire-wrapped minerals and fossils made into simple necklaces, more complex beaded necklaces with some large stone accent beads and some Swarovski for sparkle, earrings to add variety, and copper enameled bracelets. I seldom offer woodworking, as it is expensive to ship.

What's your educational background, as it relates to your work? I have taken several entry level classes in wire-wrapping and necklace making. I am always trying to learn more!

Does creating stuff run in the family? Were you taught things on purpose or by osmosis from prior generations? As I grew up my mother was always creating thing from scratch in the kitchen. She was also very creative with a sewing machine.

How'd you get started creating? I started creating things in the kitchen, then branched off into woodworking.

What's your muse, or what turns that little creative light inside you on? I like working with my hands and seeing the process of turning a natural material like stone or wood into a finished product, especially jewelry!

Do you belong to any Street Teams (other than the INCrowdteam)? Not yet. I am still learning about this!

What are your favorite materials to work with? Three of my favorite materials to work with are hardwoods, metals (copper and silver), and an endless variety of real stone beads!

What's your favorite thing about selling on Etsy? That Etsy is a collection of artists trying to get known better.

Recommend your five favorite shops from all of Etsy.
1) nilochlainn
2) cyndefdesigns
3) myjuliejewels
4) wolfgangzehen
5) stockannette

Show us three of your favorite items from your shop and your work.
Wolf Turquoise Necklace - I think it is an interesting combination of animal world and turquoise, or Tibetan silver and turquoise.

















Rhodonite and Rose Quartz Necklace [sold] - There are not many pink minerals, and women enjoy them!

















Enameled Copper Bracelet - I like working with copper; it's believed to help with arthritis and it is fashionable for both men and women!








Do you sell on consignment? If so, where? I have several display cases at the Calhoun Street Emporium, 2730 South Calhoun Street, Fort Wayne, Indiana, 46807

Anything else to brag on? I hope to take a class on silversmithing soon! To those that read the blog, thanks for reading my story!


Thanks for telling us your story, and thanks for listing my shop as one of your faves! -- Stockannette

No comments:

Post a Comment