Saturday, August 22, 2009

INCrowdteam Interview 8/22/09 - Tracee Workman, a.k.a. SewFrivolous

I know you're thinking to yourself, "Why does that name sound familiar: SewFrivolous?" I'll tell you why: because Tracee's shop was just "Top Fived" by BeckyMortonCreations in last week's Incrowdteam Interview! Take a look at her darling creations below and I think you'll see why!

Where were you born and raised, and where are you now? I was born in Greensburg Indiana and have lived here all my life. It is a nice small town, known (locally) as the city with a tree growing out of the top of our courthouse! We are located right in between Indianapolis and Cincinnati.

What's the origin of your shop's name? I had originally wanted to be named sew whimsical; sadly it wasn’t available. So I used an online thesaurus, typed in 'whimsical' and found the word frivolous. Ta-da!

What types of creations do you sell in your Etsy shop? For now it is mostly children’s clothing: girls dresses, boys/girls pajamas. Soon I will be listing a few other non-apparel items like snack bags and pillow covers. One day I really hope to be able to list adult clothing. I’m still working on my abilities, but that is my goal.

What's your educational background, as it relates to your work? Well, let’s see. I have my Cosmetology license, so I guess being able to cut straight lines comes in handy!

What’s your real-world job? I’m a mom of four beautiful girls. My oldest is almost 12, in the 6th grade. She is an avid student and runner. My middle child is 7, in 2nd grade; she is my emotional, dramatic one. I hear it is pretty typical of middle children though. My youngest are a set of identical twin 5-year-olds in kindergarten. They are so much fun! I’m also a wife to a wonderful man and father who I admire more than any human alive. He truly is the rock of our family.

Does creating stuff run in the family? Were you taught things on purpose or by osmosis from prior generations? Well, both my grandmothers worked in a local dress factory here in Greensburg, you know back in the day, hee hee! Love you, G-ma’s. They used to create some of the most beautiful dresses for my girls; unfortunately they are no longer able to sew. I started missing those handmade dresses, so one day I decided I was going to learn to sew. To be completely honest, my number one learning tool has been
YouTube! It is amazing what you can learn off of that site!

How'd you get started creating? I decided to spread my wings and attempt to try some harder patterns. When I realized I didn’t have or know any children to fit those items, I knew that I was going to have to sell them somewhere. Immediately
Etsy came to mind. Now I have the ability to be able to come up with some of my own designs, sometimes a fabric will just speak to me and I know what will really showcase that particular pattern.

What's your muse, or what turns that little creative light inside you on? Of course, that is my children. To see a finished item on them is the best feeling in the world! I also get creative when I see a fabric that really catches my eye!

If you had to pick one fabric to describe your personality, what would it be, and why? Wow, that is really a hard one. I would have to say a classic black and white print. Oh yeah, and then throw on a bright BOLD color for some contrast.

Do you belong to any Street Teams (other than the INCrowdteam)? Nope - only the
INCrowdteam.

What's your favorite thing about selling on Etsy? The people. Hands down. What a wonderful group of people! The communication that Etsy allows between customer and seller is wonderful!

Where is the farthest place you’ve shipped an order to? Either San Jose California or Connecticut (not sure which is farther)! I don’t currently offer international shipping; just the U.S. and Canada. To be honest, it kind of scares me!

Recommend your five favorite shops from all of Etsy.
1.
newmoondesigns (though not currently open)
2.
SpiceofLifeDesigns
3.
BlueScarabJewelry
4.
laktjohnson
5.
amycornwell

Please show us three of your own favorite pieces, from your shop and work.

Elegant A-line in Damask Fabric

















Customized A-line Dress for Fall


















Trendy Floral Pinafore Set



















Do you sell on consignment? No, but I would love to.

Where else can we find you on the internet? I’m on
Facebook, under Tracee Workman.

Are the “models” I see in some of your item photos your daughters? Are you going to teach them how to sew? Yes, those models are my own! I will definitely teach them if they show any interest in it!

Anything else to brag on? I am going to meet
SpiceofLifeDesigns and BlueScarabJewelry on September 3rd at Benjamin’s Coffeehouse in Franklin at 10:30 a.m. I can’t wait to meet some fellow Etsians! Everyone is welcome!! It would be great if others could make it!

Last question: I’m taking a cue from seeing you already have some Halloween items posted... how soon do you think we should start listing Christmas-related items? I admit it: I have already bought a few different fabrics for Christmas! I would love to go ahead and list them! I know I like to shop early for Christmas, but I will probably wait until October. Unless you all think it should be sooner!! I’m game - hee hee. I’ve got quite a few items I still need to list for Halloween. I need to get them on there!

Thanks, Tracee! Your stuff makes me wish my niece and nephews were little again! --- Stockannette

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the mention Tracee!! Your shop is adorable and what a great interview!

    -Kristin (laktjohnson)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww happy to be on your top 5! Great interview and super sweet shop!

    xoxo,
    Amber

    ReplyDelete