Thursday, August 7, 2008

INCrowd International Interview, 8/7/08 - Zoe Gemma Stewart, The Curious Rabbit

This bi-weekly International Interview is with Zoe Gemma Stewart. I love that name! But her shop name is cool too...The Curious Rabbit. Read on and you'll see why I like her so much. Not only is her work lovely, but she is a lovely person inside.

Where were you born & raised?
I was born in a little town in Newcastle, England. I moved to Edinburgh, Scotland where I was raised with my younger brother and my mum.

Where are you now & what led you there?
I lived in Hawick, in the Scottish borders for 3 years whilst at University, studying fashion design. In August 2007, I married my adorable husband, who is in the army, and I moved to York to live with him for a year. I work in the Army nursery on camp, I look after 2 seriously disabled children full time, 4 children before and after work, and I etsy at weekend and whenever I can squeeze in a little time... I feel so lucky working with the people I do and making a difference in their lives.

What types of creations do you sell in for your Etsy shop(s)?
I mainly list photographs that I take on my time off. I love taking photographs and my trusty camera comes everywhere with me. We also travel home to Scotland a lot, so I embroider when I am in the car and some of those get listed too, although I would like them all to go on my walls

What's your educational background, as it relates to your work?
I went to a not-so-great High School in Edinburgh and I couldn't wait to get out and get to college. I studied Art, Design and Photography for a year at the local college which led me to University. I loved my 3 years there. I volunteered my only day off with the local high school for 2 years and with an art group for adults with disabilities for one year. One day I would love to teach my own art class for adults and children with disabilities. It was an amazing experience for me and it's something I would love to do forever.

How'd you get started creating?
The first thing I ever remember making was a card for my mum. I was only 4, I cellotaped a tea bag to the inside of a card, so she could have a cup on Mother's Day...I've always loved sewing, and painting and general mess making, and to be able to continue doing that as a job as an adult is perfect.

What's your muse, or what turns that little creative light inside you on?
Everything...There is not a moment when I don't have an idea bobbing around my head, or my camera attached to my face, I am constantly scribbling in my little book to stitch, books...Where the Wild Things Are is my favourite; the beautiful illustration gets me every time.

Do you belong to any Street Teams? If so, which ones and why? If not, why not?
I think I belong to the UK Street Team, to keep up with things, but I need a tutorial because I'm not really sure how to use half of Etsy. I learn something new everyday.

What's your favorite thing about selling on Etsy?
I have only sold a few items, and the fact that someone has found my shop after my hard work of trying to get it noticed and then loving something so much they have bought it gives me that warm little glow in my tummy, it's a lovely feeling to have.

Recommend your five favorite shops on Etsy.

Wow, only 5? OK... here goes...

1. One of my best friends (in real life)- #1 has to be mollymoovintage. Her shop is adorable and one of a kind, full of vintage housewares
2. milkrun. Her handmade dolls are adorable and I intend to get one, one day
3. ndeurshoes. Which girl doesn't love shoes? I have a very big collection and I think these are great,
4. keysandmemories. I love vintage and I love typewriters, and here they're put together, awesome!
5. AshleyG. Her illustrations are wonderful. I have one on my wall I got for my birthday, gorgeous!

What are your three favorite items of your own work?
My 3 items would have to be...

Sending love from afar.....









Quiet Country Home print









beach on the farm









Anything else to add? Go for it!
Thank you, for the opportunity to have my little voice heard from my little corner of Etsy. It's hard trying to promote yourself in blogs and forums, so when people visit your store and you get chance for an interview it's rather lovely, so a simple little thank you.

Go create! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment