Saturday, June 7, 2008

INCrowd Interview, 6/7/08 - Sarah Mondary, Hoodwinks

This week's INCrowd Interview is with Sarah Mondary, a.k.a. hoodwinks.

Were you born & raised in Indiana?
Yes and yes. I have lived my entire 27 1/2 years in good ole Brownsburg (except for those two I was in Bloomington, but that is another story). My mother and grandparents have been here since 1954.

Where in Indiana are you from now?
I will probably always be in Brownsburg. No matter how much I complain about it, or how much it has changed since I was a little girl, I really can't imagine living anywhere else.

What types of creations do you sell in for your Etsy shop(s)?
Right now I am offering original bottle cap collage (teeny, tiny fun). I just opened my shop on Mother's Day, so I am kind of still getting the hang of it. I have been working with wire wrapping a little bit this week and hope to have some rings listed soon. I have also been decoupaging trinket boxes, but I'm not sure how I feel about those quite yet.

What's your educational background, as it relates to your work?
In high school, I took figure drawing through Herron School of Art's Saturday School program. I can't even explain how horrible I was! I always knew I would go to IU Bloomington after high school. Thanks to my surgeon uncle and nurse aunt, I became interested interested in medical illustration, so that is what I decided to major in. Medical illustration is very intense. You basically had to double major in fine art and pre-med. The average time to complete a degree is eight years. Yeah. A combination of beer consumption and not understanding how a C- on something that was supposed to be "art" was justified persuaded me to call it quits after two years.

How'd you get started creating?
I am an only child. so I had all the free time in the world to entertain myself when I was little. Basically, I did whatever I wanted (and I guess I still do). I can't give a good explanation for why I have always been interested in art. I think it may be that because I have always been a little shy, art gave me a way to say things that I might not have said out loud.

Show us your three fave items:



















































What made you want to join the INCrowd?
I wanted to see what other people in Indiana were doing. I have been to all the art fairs and festivals and I know there is some great stuff out there, locally. I wanted (and needed) support when I first started poking around Etsy. And, when I get finished with school (yes, I finally went back) and have my weekends free once again, I would love to take my creations to some local shows.

What's your favorite thing about selling on Etsy?
I love how you can post a question on the threads, any question your heart desires, and in a matter of seconds, there is someone there with an answer. It sure beats researching, googling and trial and error. I also enjoy finding truly one-of-a-kind items on Etsy. I have never been cool with going out and buying the exact same shirt as everyone else on the block. Nobody else in town has what I can find on Etsy.

Recommend your five favorite shops on Etsy.
dadadreams: This shop is wonderful if you appreciate a good piece of collage. I love the retro images combined with the very modern text.
balsam: The first shop I ever bought from on Etsy. She has the best smelling soap around. And she pretty much made me re-learn how to use PayPal. Without any complaining!
prettylittlependant: Another local shop that I fell in love with. The vintage images used here are wonderful!
theclaycollection: He is here because I recently purchased some sculpey and wanted to pull my hair out after trying to make something pretty. Everything came out looking like my two year old son made it. I don't know how all you polymer clay people do it.
contrariwise: This is a fabulous shop for everything wire. She is amazing.

Anything else to say, Sarah?
Thanks for reading this. I have really enjoyed the short time I have been using Etsy. It is nice to know there is a buying and selling forum out there for people like us. Sometimes it's frustrating trying to get other people to accept and love what you have created as much as you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment